Studying in Canada

Contact Us

Have question about ILSC’s University Pathway Program or one of our partner’s programs? Feel free to contact us and we will get back to you shortly.


Program Types & Length of Program

  • Certificates (8 months–1 year)
  • Diplomas (2 years)
  • Advanced diplomas (3 years)
  • Applied bachelor’s degrees (4 years)
  • Post-graduate certificates (1 year)
Other types of programs available at some colleges only:

University Transfer (2 years)—spend up to 2 years in a college and transfer directly into 3rd year at a university.


College tuition is usually more affordable than university, although some specialized programs may cost more.


Program Types & Length of Program

  • Bachelor’s degrees (4 years)
  • Master’s degrees (1–2 years)
  • Doctoral degree (PhD) (4 years)
  • Certificates (offered by some universities: 1–2 years)


University tuition is usually more expensive than college.

Opportunities During Your Studies

Work while you study*

Students are typically able to apply for on-campus jobs during the first 6 months of their studies, and may apply for an off campus work permit for the remainder of their studies. Some programs also offer co-op options, or have co-op integrated right into the program.

Opportunities After Graduation

Work in your home country

Secure a position in an industry related to your studies. Your international education and language experience will open up opportunities to work in positions with an international focus.

Work in Canada for 1-3 years after you graduate with a Post Graduate Work Permit.*

The length of a Post Graduate Work Permit varies according to the length of your study. Apply your new skills in the Canadian work place.

Apply for Permanent Resident status in Canada*

Depending on the length of your program and where you studied, you may be able to apply for Permanent Resident status in Canada after 1 year of post graduate work. Receive PR usually within 3–12 months.

Typical Program Entry Requirements**

Certificates (8 months–1 year) High school diploma Minimum GPAs vary depending on the school, program choice, and on overall enrollment. Please see the individual partner school pages for more details.
Diplomas (2 years) High school diploma
Advanced diplomas (3 years) High school diploma
University Transfer High school diploma
Bachelor’s degrees (4 years) High school diploma
Post-graduate certificates College diploma or bachelor’s degree or work experience (high school diploma may be accepted for mature students only)
Master’s degree (1–2 years) Bachelor’s degree
Doctoral degree (PhD) (1–4 years) Master’s degree

* All work permit and permanent residence information is subject to change, and may vary among provinces. Visit the Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) website for current information:

** ILSC’s University Pathway program supports students to meet the language requirement for entry into our partner schools. Additional entry requirements apply, and vary by school and program.

Find a Program